Current available jobs in Basketball Operations:
Basketball Operations: Team Administration/Operations
Basketball Data Analyst - Indiana Pacers (Indianapolis, IN)
JOB TITLE: Basketball Data Analyst
Department: Basketball Analytics Salary: Exempt
Location: Indiana Pacers Sports & Entertainment, Indianapolis, IN
Reports to: Manager of Basketball Administration, Indiana Pacers
This person will work with the basketball department to organize basketball data, health/performance data, build visualization/software tools, and provide analytics insights/reporting. Experience in basketball is not required; analytical talent and quick learning ability is.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Advanced statistical modelling and analysis
- Excellent attention to detail in checking and working with data
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with other stakeholders including our Performance staff to evaluate, integrate, and provide insights on health and performance data.
- Develop tools to streamline the decision-making process for the front office and coaching staff
- Manipulate, visualize, and analyze large data sets
- Assist in database maintenance and data cleansing
- Excellent skills required to effectively and clearly communicate results to the basketball operations staff through presentations, written reports, and tools
- Collaborate effectively on team projects and work autonomously on individual work as appropriate
- Support gathering of additional data for ad-hoc analysis as needed
- Innovate across all aspects of basketball operations
- Develop recommendations and solutions to create efficiencies and improve decision making throughout the basketball operations department
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Deep statistical expertise and experience with varied programming languages (R/Python preferred)
- Strong experience with Bayesian analysis, artificial intelligence, and machine learning techniques
- Strong experience with experimental design, linear regression, logistic regression, non-linear regression, k-means clustering, decision trees, and other advanced techniques
- Data Mining and big data expertise
- Significant experience with statistical software packages
- Excellent interpersonal skills and talent for communicating clear and effective messages with a variety of different constituencies
- Data visualization experience is a plus
- Strong organizational skills with focus on detailed outcomes
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Must be self-motivated and goal oriented
- Must be able to work long hours on short notice, weekends and nights as needed
- Interest in and familiarity with basketball and terminology
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
College Degree and 2-years’ experience working as a data analyst is required. A graduate level degrees in statistics, data science, or computer science is a plus. This position requires someone who has strong data/analytical skills, organizational skills, multi-task abilities, excellent communication, and strong computer skills. Must be able to maintain confidential information.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret instructions and reports. Ability to write reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from Manager, other analytics personnel, and primary decision makers.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
PROBLEM SOLVING REQUIREMENTS:
Employee must make independent decisions and exercise discretion and independent judgment.
PHYSICAL and ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to:
- Use computer
- Speak, hear and write
Employee should have knowledge of R, Python, Excel, data mining, data visualization, and data entry.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the office work environment is usually moderate.
- The noise level in the Fieldhouse/game environment is usually loud.
- The stress level may become high during certain times of the year.
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. YES/NO Have you attended the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference?
2. Do you have experience working with large data sets (please describe)?
Contact the TeamWorkOnline webmaster / FAQ